Why Kids Join Gangs
- There are different reasons for different kids.
- Some are drawn by parties, girls, & drugs.
- Some are looking for a sense of respect and power.
- Some find a feeling of caring and attention in a gang. It becomes almost a family to them.
- Some want to make money -- to help out at home or to have nice clothes, etc.
- Some join for self protection because they are picked on by other gangs.
- Some grow up in a neighborhood where it is almost a way of life.
- Most have some real or imagined problem at home that makes them prefer the streets.
As their drug addiction grows, their problems at home become worse
because parents don't know how to cope with the addiction.