How to Help Your Kid
- Take action early.
The longer a kid is in a gang, the harder it is to stop.
- Talk with your son/daughter
And try to really listen.
- Let him know that you care.
Give him a hug sometimes. Praise the things he does right.
- Take a firm stand against illegal activity.
A little stealing or dealing will put him in a situation that could get him killed.
Never accept money or gifts that may have been obtained illegally!
- Provide a good example.
- Try to get into family counseling.
While the problem may not be yours, it can best be worked out as a family.
- If you or your spouse DO have a problem with drugs, alcohol, or anger, get help!
If your child chooses a gang because of problems at home, his life will be at risk!
- Encourage him to become active in a church group.
- If your child is honestly trying to make a change, consider moving to a different neighborhood.
He can't wait for a bus to go to work, or walk to school in a place where he has lots of enemies.
Ask him what neighborhoods would be safe.
- If you are not able to move, perhaps a relative would be willing to let him stay with them.